Re: Should we drop XP?

On 01.04.2015 11:06, Christian Hergert wrote:
On 04/01/2015 12:47 AM, Alexander Larsson wrote:
On ons, 2015-04-01 at 09:46 +0200, Ignacio Casal Quinteiro wrote:
well one of the reasons is that we are patching downstream in this
ways (it can be fixed though)
https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/blob/master/mingw-w64-glib2/0027-no_sys_if_nametoindex.patch

and afaik fan or lrn had some ideas to improve some parts of the code
once xp is dropped

Sounds like its time to drop it then!

I know this is *slightly* off topic, but can we consider dropping GSlice
too? Last I asked around it sounded like it was required on Windows for
older systems that had an atrocious malloc implementation.

On a modern GNU/Linux, glibc's malloc uses both less memory than GSlice
and is significantly faster (and doesn't screw up gdb). I did a bunch of
benchmarks[1] on this last year at the Berlin hackfest.

I'd love to hear from the GStreamer folks on all of this anyway, since I
believe they are likely the heaviest user of GLib+win32.

[1] https://github.com/chergert/alloctest

heftig:  LRN: ran it: http://pkgbuild.com/~heftig/alloctest/
heftig:  (had no tcmalloc-minimal, so used jemalloc)
LRN:     um...wonderful, only i have no idea what this all means
heftig:  gslice is faster than gmalloc and does not use more memory, either
heftig:  in contrast to what the mail claims
heftig:  both are beat by jemalloc, though
__tim:   heftig, on which windows version? how much faster?
heftig:  __tim: the mail talks about testing gslice on linux, not windows
__tim:   right
__tim:   oh of course, it says so at the bottom of your site as well

--
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org