Re: Removing global variables

On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 3:42 PM, Alexandre Bique <bique alexandre gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
> You can run any number of event loops in a process. You can only run 1 GTK main loop.

So can I run one event loop in a thread, do my UI without having a
gtk_main_loop?

first of all, if the host is written with GTK then it runs THE GTK main loop anyway, you shouldn't be attempting to create a new one (which would also be true in a "normal" process - you don't create more than 1 GTK main loop.

event loops are a glib level abstraction/object. The GTK main loop is just a particular, special instance of a glib event loop inside a GTK application.

as a concrete example, one potential host for your plugins (Ardour), runs up to 5 glib events loops (for example, separate event loops handling events from asynchronous MIDI inputs from ipMIDI and from OSC). There is still only 1 GTK main loop in the application.