Re: libsoup + gsettings-desktop-schemas for server code

On Mon, Mar 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
What about shipping the keyfile in gsettings-desktop-schemas? Does it hurt to have more schemas than the ones you use?

It doesn't hurt *that* much.  I mean, I have much more important battles to wage for this particular project, such as not shipping Python and 3 crypto libraries.

I certainly know that a lot of the code in GNOME is client/desktop focused, which is good because in many domains the client is the harder case.  But I also would like the core to work better in server cases, as there are at least more projects (or more visible projects) doing so.  Besides min-metadata-service, I work on all of Cockpit, OSTree, and gnome-continuous, all of which are headless server-based code.

You're right that just using gsettings-desktop-schemas isn't a big deal for this particular issue, it does have "desktop" in the name...which in my mind gives it a license to depend on gtk+ or something =)

So it's not so much about this particular issue as ensuring we think about handling both client apps and server apps in general.

And if we give admins a way to configure the system proxy in *one* place for servers too, that's a huge win.