Re: Heads-up: Potentially breaking changes to the GDK drawing model pushed

Hey everyone again

I wasn't expecting this much fallout from the change. I was hoping most of the GTK+ applications were only using widgets and draw signals. I was wrong.

I've effectively pushed a revert of these changes:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=984e811c16891cb4945a090bea8ec9e81ce3dba6
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/commit/?id=24b9e91f470d2f355c6e19013f302295151baacf

Note that gtk_widget_set_double_buffered is still deprecated, and calling gdk_cairo_create outside of a begin_paint_region / end_paint is still considered legacy and isn't guaranteed to work on any backends other than X11. Everything should be functioning correctly. So, we're choosing to make these things work for X11, but new backends like Wayland, Broadway and Mir might not work with them.

If your application still has flickering or prints runtime warnings or crashes, *please* let me know. We should be back to where we were beforehand, but things do sometimes slip through the cracks.

Thanks to everyone who gave me feedback -- it's been a frustrating past few days for everyone, and I'm sorry for the breakage I caused. I have a much better handle on the situation now and the way applications are using our toolkit.

If you have any other feedback about modern drawing in GTK+, please let us know. We're always trying to support application developers, even if it may not seem like it, and if our existing APIs aren't suiting your use cases, we need to know.