Re: Heads-up: Potentially breaking changes to the GDK drawing model pushed

Le samedi 21 juin 2014 à 11:28 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre a écrit :
On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 10:26 AM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpierre mecheye net> wrote:
        Honest question: which ones? The only requirement we have with
        Wayland is that we know when a paint has begun and when it has
        ended, and also the rough area of paint, so we can tell the
        Wayland compositor when to swap buffers, and from which
        rectangles.

        The draw signal does this automatically, but we can expose
        this in other places.

        I'm skeptical of the performance concerns of the draw signal.
        With the new paint clock system we have, draw events are
        throttled and locked to the compositor, so it should be faster
        to queue a redraw and wait until the frame is drawn, and do it
        all in one go. But I'm fine with changing begin_paint_region
        so that it no longer clears to background, if only to help
        people trying to port to the crazy new drawing world.

Heads-up: I went ahead and pushed a branch for this at
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gtk+/log/?h=wip/paint-stack-cleanup

Basically, gdk_window_begin_paint_region / gdk_window_begin_paint_rect
no longer clear to the background automatically, which means you can
use them out-of-band. To clear to the background explicitly, you can
use gdk_window_paint_background.

Since it adds new API, I'm not going to push it to master until I can
get some peer review, which likely means it won't get pushed until
Monday. If you could test with this branch and let me know the
results, that would be great!

I do encourage everyone to try using the "draw" event / "draw" signal
again. With our recent paint clock and event throttling work from 3.8
onwards, we should be able to make it fast without having to resort to
hacks like gdk_cairo_create.

Sorry for all the breakage! I really don't want to bug anybody too
much, but I do want to make sure that our toolkit and all our
applications can work out of the box on modern platforms like Wayland.

We still had the issue with gtk+-3.8.6 (it's by that time that we
started using gdk_create_cairo).

Jean