Re: Volunteer

Hey Lieven,

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 7:32 PM, Lieven van der Heide <lievenvanderheide gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

I'd like to volunteer to help with gtk development, preferably with improving touch support.

It is great that you want to help! There's being some activity around, with the recently merged gestures branch. Some low hanging fruits would indeed be making older widgets use this, or (possibly more entertaining) possibility is finding places where gestures or touch-specific UI could be handy (eg. on otherwise non interactable widgets). It would be good if you'd compile gtk+ master and got familiarized with the changes there by reading docs/code.

I've already submitted the kinetic scrolling improvement fixes not too long ago (still waiting for it to be in git though),

It was pushed this evening :), nice work!

so I know the code a bit. Are there any open tickets I could pick up? There are plenty of improvements I can think of, but I guess it's better to stick to the current roadmap.

One useful bugzilla query might be:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced;bug_status=UNCONFIRMED;bug_status=NEW;bug_status=ASSIGNED;bug_status=REOPENED;bug_status=NEEDINFO;component=Class%3A%20GdkDevice;component=Class%3A%20GtkGesture;product=gtk%2B

Althought there's not many opened bugs related to touch currently as you can see. It would be great if you could hang out in #gtk+ and #gnome-design, that's where most of the activity around GTK+/touch goes on.

One thing I really think gtk should need though, and which I'd like to help with is this:

but I realize that it's quite a big change, so I guess it first needs to be decided if and how we're going to do it.

I have to agree with Matthias that it would be probably better if you found tangible/compelling usecases before embarking on this, you realize well that it's not a small change (not only event management wise, but very possibly to GtkAdjustment/GtkScrollable API). IMHO, the only UIs that can't do without scrollable-within-scrollable are webbrowsers, and GTK+ luckily doesn't have to cater for that case.

Cheers,
  Carlos