Re: GTK+ scene graph, API deprecations

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 10:01 -0400, Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
Because every time we try to clean up GtkTreeView, we break some random
application. It's a widget that has twenty three gazillion use cases, and
so we have to keep it a mess, because removing the mess means removing one
use case, and we can't do that.

So the problem is because GtkTreeView was developed as policy-free as
possible. Now the new widgets are written with more policy, which makes
the API easier to use, with a simpler implementation.

So if I understand correctly, with the new widgets, small applications
are easier to write, but applications with more complex needs are more
complicated to write, because even more custom widgets are needed (while
before it was possible to use all the bells and whistles of the generic
widgets).

--
Sébastien