Re: Stock Items Deprecation

On 13-09-13 02:29 AM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
hi;

On 13 September 2013 03:10, Matthew Brush <mbrush codebrainz ca> wrote:

As some of you may have noticed we have recently deprecated Stock Items in
master.

Some details on this change may be found here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KCVPoYQBqMbDP11tHPpjW6uaEHrvLUmcDPqKAppCY8o/pub

Please let us know what you think.

Do you mind if I simply ask why are you asking for feeback?

can't really talk for Jon, but I think it's obvious why: you can only
get feedback once you do something, and find issues when people start
porting their code, not before. as a rule, people don't port their
code until it's strictly necessary, so doing thought experiments and
getting feedback prior to actually deprecating API yields either
skewed, or no results.

luckily, we have GTK under revision control, so if we need to do so,
we can revert commits — which is something that happened multiple
times in the past (even in this cycle).

it's also obvious that somebody's mind "has been made": that's how
things get started, developed, and committed. it doesn't mean that
opinions can't change, though; it's still possible to convince to
revert, or to defer to a later cycle. we can even "undeprecate" in
another cycle.

it helps if you don't automatically assume that people working on GTK
are stubborn or simply don't care.

I certainly don't assume that automatically, but when massive deprecations are made presumably without any prior discussion (at least on any public GTK+ channels), and then feedback is asked for and a number of important issues are raised and nothing is done about it, or even responding to some of the issues, just ignoring the thread for 2 months now ... what can be assumed?

It's just frustrating trying to contribute to GTK+, or even to just code apps against it, when this stuff happens.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush