Re: Removal of icons in buttons/menus

Hi Olivier,

thanks for your feedback.

You are right that the functionality of the gtk-button-images and gtk-menu-images settings was removed. They are only 'deprecated' insofar as programs that were using g_object_set to directly change these settings on the GtkSettings object will not fail to compile or run.

As far as the functionality of those settings goes, we (the involved GTK+ developers) have decided that we don't want to support this functionality, which makes it impossible for designers or even developers to know if there will be an icon at any place in the UI or not. This kind of variability makes it much hard to design and develop user interfaces.

As for 'public toolkit', we certainly support more than just GNOME, but GTK+ operates like most open source projects - the people who show up and do the work get most say in the direction of the project.

Matthias