Re: gl_GLIBC21 and charset.alias

On Oct 4, 2013, at 10:22 AM, Dan Winship <danw gnome org> wrote:

On 10/03/2013 04:18 PM, John Ralls wrote:
In https://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/commit/?id=d2bb019533bbcbd1cee3891822ac7ba6ff55ad3d , Colin removed
the call to gl_GLIBC21 from configure.ac, which breaks the installation of charset.alias because clause in
glib/libcharset/Makefile.am which installs it depends upon @GLIBC21@ which is no longer defined.

My inclination is to just remove the condition, since charset.alias gets built anyway; the test only stops
it being installed. Is there any harm in having charset.alias installed if the system has glibc-2.1 or
later? If so, is there something to test for that's preferable over the gl_GLIBC21 autoconf macro?

There's a section of configure.ac with tests specifically for
libcharset, so you can just add it back there instead. (We didn't remove
the call because it's evil or anything, we just removed it because we
thought it wasn't needed any more.)

Dan,

Thanks for the guidance. Pushed to master & glib-2-38.

Regards,
John Ralls