Re: Stock Items Deprecation

To answer myself; Gtk+3.10 and above cannot have icons and buttons in menus unless opted in explicitly by the app author.

it seems this removal was noticed by someone else

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-desktop/2013-October/004311.html
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-settings-daemon/+bug/1228886

Ubuntu LTS will stay with Gtk+ 3.8

Make of that what you will.