Re: Regarding theWin32/Visual C++ project completion items

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Colin Walters <walters verbum org> wrote:
On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 17:10 +0800, fanc999 yahoo com tw wrote:

> -The Python scripts will read from the various Makefile.am's using
> Python regex functionality,

My main concern here is about what kinds of additional restrictions this
might add to the Makefile.am files we are using.  For example, would
this script support nested conditionals like:

if BUILDOPT_FOO
if BUILDOPT_BAR
blah_SOURCES += foo-and-bar.c
endif
endif

etc.  Basically there will be an ongoing cost of having two independent
programs parsing the same Makefile.am files - we'll have to identify a
subset that works for both.

I can only speak for my script that is refered to by Fan. It doesn't understand Makefile.am at all. All it does is looking for some strings of interest using regex. The programmer needs to parse the Makefile.am first and finds out what strings the script needs to look for, and all that logic is hardcoded in the script. If the structure of the Makefile.am changes, the script needs to be updated correspondingly.

I don't think it's worth making it a makefile.am parser, as the whole script was written in a couple of hours, and writing a makefile.am parser itself would take much more time than that.

> -Whether this is a viable approach-i.e. whether Python 2/3 is readily
> available on the Linux systems which people use to generate dist
> tarballs

Yes, I think that's fine.