Re: supporting all X (not only gtk+) applications in browser

Hi,

congratulations. you've just reinvented VNC along with TeamViewer and a half
dozen other "remote video display" systems.
No he didn't. He actually proposed to implement client-side rendering
instead of pushing pixels like broadway does.
After all, any reason you actually confront people quite aggresivly so often?

In this way, we don't have to transfer pictures -- we are just re-routing the X rendering to the browser.
Supporting Wayland is also possible, and probably better.
Its simple in theory, but actually extremly hard. There are e.g.
applications which require a read-back of image data from the server
to the client.
Furthermore canvas only implements a very tiny subset of the X
rendering APIs (core and XRender), so you probably need to start with
a software-rendering API for javascript from scratch.
Furthermore, most of the time (with a few exceptions) latency is the
big issue these days, not bandwith.

Imagine that we can host all sorts of fancy desktop software in central servers in the cloud, and users
just have to open the browser, get
access to remote server, and they can use them!  In this way, all data is stored on the cloud, rather than
constantly synch-ing with the server!
So if you think this is such a great idea, get started :)
In case it succeeds, I am sure there are use cases for it.

Regards