Re: Stock Items Deprecation

Hi Tristan,

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:
The document above points to this list of icon names:
   http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html#names

What guarantees do we have that referring to an icon name in the "icon
naming spec" will
actually produce an icon ?

Will GTK+ have a dependency on an installed icon theme which conforms
to the basic spec ?
(can GTK+'s configure script verify that there is a *complete* set of
icons installed and bail
out if it's not the case ?).

Yeah that was advantage "1. A  guaranteed, consistent, and high quality set of icons" I listed. Essentially GTK+ 3 has implicitly had a runtime dependency on an implementation of the icon naming spec for some time. This isn't a new change. In fact we optionally also depend on an implementation of symbolic icons too. Even though I think not having one should fallback in some fashion.

As for the best way to express this? I don't know offhand. Suggestions welcome.

Jon