Re: Stock Items Deprecation

Hi Bastien,

Thanks for the feedback. I've added the following section about this to the document.

One objection that has been raised is that now application authors will need to include and translate label strings (such as “_Save”) application-side. This means application authors will need to decide which characters to use for mnemonics. This is actually a good thing. A problem we’ve always had with standardized label strings hardcoded in the toolkit is that inevitably the mnemonics clash. We’ve never had a solution for this and there is even a FIXME in the code for it. To do it correctly you really need to know what ones you've already used and what items are important enough to have them. While it may be possible to invent some kind of mechanism to pick mnemonics automatically, we don’t currently have one. And it will likely be complicated to do reliably considering translations. Instead of relying on internal magic it is better to trust the application author to get it right.

The problems of consistency between applications is a valid one and may be addressed the way we address other consistency issues, with documentation and clear guidelines . We already have the Stock Items Migration Guide and I expect some of this will migrate into the GTK+ documentation and platform HIG soon.

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 09:41 -0400, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi,
>

> As some of you may have noticed we have recently deprecated Stock
> Items in master.
>

> Some details on this change may be found here:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KCVPoYQBqMbDP11tHPpjW6uaEHrvLUmcDPqKAppCY8o/pub
>

> Please let us know what you think.

The biggest loss is the need to re-translate, usually with consistency
about the mnemonic used, things such as "_About", "_Save", etc.

Cheers