RE: bugzilla cleanup

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Behdad Esfahbod <behdad behdad org> wrote:
>On 02/05/2013 02:13 PM, Krzysztof Kosiński wrote:
>> 2013/2/4 Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>:
>>> Hi everybody,
>>>
>>> a while ago, we've talked about getting a handle on the enormous
>>> number of open bugs in glib and gtk.
>>
>> This bug, which makes GOption useless on Windows and has accumulated
>> 93 comments so far, could be easily fixed (it has patches) if someone
>> finally decided which way is preferable.
>
>It can be "easily fixed" in the sense that every application also would then
>need to be fixed...

Yes, but at least app writers would have a path forward, which they have not for
years other then "Don't use GOption if you want option parsing to always work
portably." Having to change a couple of lines is vastly preferable to rewriting
everything to not use GOption cause its broken.

Leave the old symbol in place, add a new one that functions correctly, and slowly
people can switch to the less buggy way on their own time.

My 2 cents.