Re: Stock Items Deprecation

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 10:44:13AM -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Tristan Van Berkom <tvb gnome org> wrote:

Besides what Bastian already points out, I have another concern if we
are to consider moving
away from stock items completely.

The document above points to this list of icon names:
   http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html#names

What guarantees do we have that referring to an icon name in the "icon
naming spec" will
actually produce an icon ?

GTK+ ships with a built-in icon theme that covers the named icons used
by the stock system (not all listed in the naming spec).

Since gcalctool moved away from stock icons (f962134f66), I can't
tell the difference between "undo" and "clear" - both appear as
the icon not found icon, which causes a problem with usability.
If there is an automatic fallback mechanism, I don't see how it is
working, and "1. Provided a guaranteed, consistent, and high quality
set of icons for use in applications." seems to have evaporated.

Cheers,

Patrick