Re: Composite GtkBuilder template

On Sun, 2013-04-07 at 10:13 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 2:57 AM, Tristan Van Berkom
<tristanvb openismus com> wrote:
On Sat, 2013-04-06 at 23:59 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:

I'm afraid that your efforts on writing an intltool-extract
replacement are misplaced.

Depends on whether you want your stuff merged or not...

So I have to reiterate my question: How exactly does intltool make
your life difficult maintaining GTK+ ?

I don't understand why it causes you problems while every other
project containing .ui files get along fine.

I just don't like it, and I don't want stuff that I maintain to depend
on it. I don't allow myself many unfounded opinions, but this is one
of them. You'll have to deal with it.

Ok, here's the problem.

intltool (used by hand, by translators) cannot handle the .ui
suffix without the [type gettext/glade] attributes specified
in POTFILES.in.

And GTK+ Makefiles cannot handle the POTFILES.in if the appropriate
attributes are set.

I don't know if you would be happy to tell translators to use
your tool, instead of intltool, in order to update all relevant
translations and merge them into the existing ${LANG}.po files,
but that could be an option (if the program actually did that).

But, as I understand it, a simple escape route would be to
rename all of GTK+'s .ui files to .glade, using the age old
.glade suffix will allow translators to merge translatable
strings into their favorite .po file, without ever needing
the explicit [type gettext/glade] attribute.

Would you be satisfied with this approach, at least until
a day that intltool-merge (used manually by translators)
is able to understand what a .ui file is without the
special attribute ?

Cheers,
       -Tristan