Re: Ropes and String Formatting

Not really. You ask harder questions, the more you have to wait for an answer. Some times it will never come. Doesn't mean that people ignored you, just that no one had anything to add to the thread. Perhaps because they are all busy doing other things...

behdad

On 2012-05-24, at 8:10 PM, Russell Harmon <russ eatnumber1 com> wrote:

Is there any particular reason I'm being ignored?
--
Russell Harmon

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Russell Harmon <russ eatnumber1 com> wrote:
I'm looking to implement two things which I think would be quite useful if included in glib.

- Ropes [1]
- Custom string formatting helper routines

What are people's thoughts on this? I was doing a little prototyping and was having trouble deciding whether to have the string formatting helper routines take and return ropes (which would be algorithmically faster), or take and return gchar *s which would probably be faster on very small strings, depending on the specifics of the implementation. Or, do you guys not worry about performance on that level?

I was also wondering about what you guys' policy on code simplicity vs performance is. String formatting routines (that take and return a gchar *) could be implemented relatively easily, but would be very inefficient with calls to realloc() on every conversion, or could be implemented much more efficiently but with a great deal more code. You can see an example of this in some code I wrote last year, [2] although I think I can do better than this example by a great deal.

Lastly, would you guys even be interested in ropes and string formatting routines at all?

Thanks
Russell Harmon