Re: [Vala] custom widget and File observer

D.H. Bahr <dbahr uci cu> writes:

>> > The application would consist solely on a "Stream Browser" providing
>> > access to (and only to) user own files, that is: all files within the
>> > user dirs (e.g: Documents, Pictures, Videos, Music, Public, Download
>> > and
>> > Home directories, recursively off course).
>> >
>> > Since I don't intent to create a full working environment (yet), but
>> > only a "stream" browser I have come to an issue: how to ensure files
>> > not
>> > "processed" within the application (that is files copied/created using
>> > other file browsers or the command line shell) are included
>> > effectively
>> > on the stream data structure. My current bet is placed on the idea I
>> > can
>> > create an Observer daemon which is somehow notified that any file on
>> > the
>> > specific 'observed' directories has been accessed. Is this even
>> > possible??
>>
>> I think that gio has what are you looking for.
>> Read here: http://www.valadoc.org/#!api=gio-2.0/GLib.FileMonitor
>>

> Yes, I took a look at that, but It doesn't seem to notify when simple
> file access occurs; that is: no modification but just open a PDF
> document and read, that action won't be notified. Would it??

You can just pull data from zeitgeist daemon:
http://zeitgeist-project.com/

Its written in vala and i belive it will fit your needs.

Also, gnome-activity-journal provides something similar for different
types of activities.

https://live.gnome.org/GnomeActivityJournal

--
http://shelr.tv - screencasting for terminal