circular dependency between glib and pkg-config

Hi. If no one here has looked into developments with pkg-config 0.26 (see http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.package-management.pkg-config/620 ), I hope someone will. Apparently pkg-config used to contain within it an old version of glib, used mostly for strings, lists, hash tables, and a few other things, that the new version has removed and instead made itself depend on glib. glib documentation, on the other hand, says that glib is dependent on pkg-config.

I wonder if it has been considered to break out the most stable portions of glib that could be thought of as C language extensions, into a package with no dependencies other than standard compiler and autotools, that can be used by glib as well as other packages written in C that may be unrelated to Gnome. Or perhaps there's another clean solution. Perhaps the glib and pkg-config developers would come up with a good solution if they communicated; if that hasn't already happened.

Thanks.