Grip Size

I'm working on a custom container class using GTK+ 3.0 which has some
similarities with GtkPaned but supports more than two child widgets. I
can install a style property to specify the size of the grips used for
resizing child widgets, however it is not likely that any theme will
ever support the property for my class. Is it possible for my
container class to get at the handle-size property for GtkPaned
without having to instantiate a GtkPaned object?