moderation discussion

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 01:19:45PM +0200, Michal Suchanek wrote:
> On 8 September 2011 23:42, Olav Vitters <olav vitters nl> wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 10:38:02AM -0700, John Ralls wrote:
> >> And the fact that I'm here shows that I agree. Shawn was here (until
> >> Olaf kicked him off this morning) for the same reason. I'm quite
> >
> > Shawn kicked himself off.
>
> If you are so concerned about politeness and non-controversy of this
> list then kick Emmanuele too. Or are only members of Gnome foundation
> board allowed to be rude on this list? :p

I don't really care about politeness or non-controversy. I more follow
the ideas of https://live.gnome.org/CodeOfConduct.

To expand on politeness or non-controversy:
With politeness or non-controversy you might get a list where you cannot
say that (just saying something) OS X support is terrible because this
might not be considered polite or might be controversial. Or similar,
you might get meta-discussions if something could be stated.

I enjoy good discussions and people disagreeing.

Regarding code of conduct:
I think it is unavoidable to have an "not so nice" email every once in a
while. Perhaps from someone well-known, perhaps from someone unknown.
What I find more important is not that one email, but the reaction to
that email. A general attitude to still be respectful and if you notice
some unacceptable behaviour, try to go for a solution which dampens it
instead of further aggravating (sending private emails, saying you're
getting the impression it seems to get personal, etc).
Give some ability for the other person to say "oh, I didn't mean it" /
"sorry".

Regarding special things for members:
I don't always read every email in every thread, or at the same time.
But although I do have the special password to take a technical solution
and maybe in this thread I gave the impression that well-knowns can do
anything they want and anyone else has 0 leeway. I try to be more
detail

I usually consider:
 - is this person generally like this in their contributions /
   conversations
 - are they brand new
 - how to best dampen it (private email, public email, moderation bit,
   unsubscribe, ban)

In this specific case:
I noticed Emanuelle apologized for the tone being interpreted as
attacking by the time I read the thread, so I consider it over. Didn't
see the same for the other email, and didn't recognize the name at all,
high chance for things getting out of hand.

Note: this already is getting way offtopic (not about gtk
development)... so I don't want to go into it too much further on this
mailing list.
Olav