Re: GTK and OSX: a call to sanity

On Sep 6, 2011, at 11:12 AM, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

> okay, I've tried to get ahold of the gtk-osx project for a while, now,
> but since sf.net is just a joke and decided to reject my @gmail.com
> emails, let's try here.
>
> can we *please* stop this madness:
>
> 17:05 < CIA-8> jralls quartz-integration * r7e37d94f2178 gtk+/ (10 files
>               in 4 dirs): Merge branch 'master' into quartz-integration
> 17:05 < CIA-8> jralls quartz-integration * rf75a882670a8 gtk+/ (9 files
>               in 4 dirs): Merge branch 'master' into quartz-integration
> 17:05 < CIA-8> jralls quartz-integration * r8c288f0f890e gtk+/ (24 files
>               in 7 dirs): Merge branch 'master' into quartz-integration
> 17:05 < CIA-8> jralls quartz-integration * r41abe4a72f16 gtk+/ (4 files
>               in 3 dirs): Merge branch 'master' into quartz-integration
> 17:05 < CIA-8> jralls quartz-integration * r964b25d17b45 gtk+/ (35 files
>               in 3 dirs): Merge branch 'master' into quartz-integration
>
> if there are patches for gtk-quartz, why are these inside at least three
> branches instead of being committed to corresponding main line one? why
> are these branch continuously being merged instead of being rebased, if
> they are personal branches?
>
> why are the tools to make bundles and modulesets hosted on github
> instead of being on gnome.org?
>
> why is gtk-osx a separate project, with mailing lists hosted on
> sourceforge, instead of being on gnome.org? every time that a project
> maintainer decides to use sourceforge, the Universe kills a puppy.
>
> can we please, *please*, for the love of all that's nice and pure in this
> Universe, stop killing puppies?

Emmanuele,

You could have written me directly: my email address is in the git repositories, attached to the commits that you're complaining about.

The tools and modulesets are on GitHub because that's where Richard Hult put them when he started 5 or 6 years ago and I haven't had time to change that since getting commit privs on git.gnome.org last year. What bothers you about it?

Gtk-OSX is a separate project hosted on Sourceforge because Richard was using the facilities of his company, Imendio, which he had just dissolved. Those resources weren't available to me. The barriers to setting up a full project on Gnome including mailing lists, a bugtracker, web fora, source repositories, web pages, and ftp downloads seem daunting and time consuming -- while I (or anyone else) can have it set up on Sourceforge in a few hours with a single request. Sourceforge is working well hosting all of that stuff and no puppies are being killed -- nor is anything else bad happening.

I'm sorry that you're irritated by the noise of the daily merges between master and quartz-integration, and between gtk-2.24 and gtk-2.24-quartz. Those tracking branches exist because I want to make it easy for application developers to use my changes to quartz, synchronized with the latest changes on the masters of each branch. Kris Reitveld asked me to wait until he reviews the patches to commit them to the mainline branches, and since his review is very valuable (he has a much deeper knowledge of the codebase than I do) I am complying with his request. If the noise from the merges is really that annoying I can easily move the quartz branches to Github and delete them from git.gnome.org.

Regards,
John Ralls