Re: GTK and OSX: a call to sanity

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 6:07 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:

> otherwise you're just forking gtk, and using the resources of the gtk
> project to give an aura of officiality to what is essentially your own
> personal project.

I'd politely request that you stop using this tone in connection with
this issue.

There has always been a level of antagonism between developers working
on GTK for OS X and the core development team. It rises and falls, and
at present, things are generally in remarkably good shape, where most
of what is required to get a fully functional GTK for OS X is right
there in the tarball releases.

But when you start ripping into one of the only people willing to
actually step up and take any responsibility for the issues faced by
those of us that actually want to use GTK+ as a cross-platform
development toolkit where the platforms include OS X, its remarkably
scary. Other people have walked away from the effort because of the
perception of "the core GTK guys just don't give a shit", and it
doesn't help in any way that you take such an argumentative tone with
john.

I appreciate that you believe that using gnome.org's infrastructure is
all incredibly easy. You've been using it for quite some time, and
done most of the things that anyone might want to do with it. John
hasn't, and his real goal is for all of the work that he or Kris (or
occasionally even me) do to end up in GTK+ releases, without caring
too much about how things get done *before* merging into the mainline.

The attitude you're displaying here is just another reason for yet
another person to walk away from that task, and its not as if there
has ever been a queue of people waiting to take over what Richard and
now John have done (similarly with Tor's work on the windows side of
things).

So please could you tone it down a bit, and rather than excoriate John
for whatever you perceive his mistakes or whatever to be, focus on
helpful suggestions.