Re: GIO performance improvements

On Tue, 2011-11-15 at 17:49 +0100, André Gillibert wrote:
> I'm not sure this mailing list is the correct place to post
> GLIB-related requests, but I didn't find a glib-devel-list.
>
> I wrote a patch for GLIB 2.28 GIO subsystem to benefit from
> dirent::d_type and be as lazy as possible on
> lstat(2)/stat(2)/readlink(2)/access(2) syscalls on local file system
> when information is requested on a GFile or when a directory is listed.
>
> This patch is not yet very clean or commented but I can improve it
> before submitting it.
>
> May this type of patch be accepted in GIO ?
>
> Actually, I wrote this patch to bring dramatical performance
> improvements to Thunar-1.2, but I may wrote similar patches for
> Nautilus.

Benjamins patches for this is already in git master. However, it is
unlikely to help in many cases, only when you're *only* interested in
name and file type (not including e.g. mime type (and thus icon)) is
this useful. One particular place it *is* useful though is typeahead
completion which is what benjamin needs it for, and i guess we should do
that in nautilus too.