Re: RFC: Model-View-Controller

On Nov 11, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> nothing else. The click controller would capture mouse presses, take a
> grab, and on release it'd make the button emit "clicked". Same as the

I get what the view and controller are doing, the model is not discussed here.  What I don't get is the exact wiring between these objects.  How will the click controller, in a generic way (!), make the button emit "clicked"?  When the button is pressed (I assume this is handled by the Click controller too), how will the controller notify this to the view in order to redraw itself?  Or will it flip a bit in the model, which will result in the view redrawing itself?

If there are multiple views, which are changed by which controller?  What complicates thinking about this for me is that in MVC as I know it, there is 1 Model, 1 View and 1 Controller for each "thing".  The objects are interchangeable, for a touch-based device, you would put in a different Controller; for a small screen, you put in a different View.  In this case, you should not have to deal with limiting actions to certain areas of the widget (see below).

> You would probably be able to limit actions to certain areas/views of
> the widget, so the hover/focus actions would be setup to only apply to
> the ones they are about.

IMHO this is a good indicator that the granularity is wrong as I discussed in my other mail.  GtkNotebook would definitely benefit from being rewritten as a composite widget, using several smaller widgets for tabs, arrow buttons, etc.

regards,

-kris.