Re: GMenuModel has landed

On 9 December 2011 04:34, Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Dec 2011, Ryan Lortie wrote:
>> Today I landed the GMenuModel work on glib master [...]
>> Menubars are no longer a per-window concept.  They are now set for the
>> entire application.  This is done for two reasons:
>>
>>  1) every app already has the same menubar (content) in each window
>
> Whoa! Where is that notion coming from? Some empirical input seems to be
> called for. It may not be the most typical situation, but a fair number of
> GTK apps put up different-looking windows, with substantially different menu

I like the sound of this change generally, but I think I need
per-window menus in my program too.

I have windows which display images, windows which display matrices,
windows which display program code, windows which display large
interactive graphs ... and so on. These different data types need
different operations available. I have to be able to add and remove
menus depending on the window type.

I suppose I could have a single menu tree with everything from every
window type rolled together, but then I'd need a way to grey out
irrelevant items per-window, which is almost the same thing as
multiple menus. And I'd think it would be frustrating for the user to
have to work with a menu system where 2/3rd of the visible items are
noise.

John