Re: GMenuModel has landed

I haven’t looked at the code yet, but a couple questions came to mind
while reading your summary. Hope you don’t mind if I ask them.

> Menubars are no longer a per-window concept.  They are now set for the
> entire application.  This is done for two reasons:
>
>   1) every app already has the same menubar (content) in each window
>
>   2) this is how the mac universe operates

Does this mean different windows belonging to the same application will
not be able to have different per–window menubars? I’m thinking about
Empathy here, with its Buddy List and Conversation windows having
different menubars, but it’s not an uncommon scenario.

> There are two new XSettings properties that have been added to
> gnome-settings-daemon that specify if the shell will show the
> application menu or the menubar.  These values have hard-wired defaults
> on non-X platforms.
>
>                     shows-app-menu       shows-menubar
>   gnome-shell:      yes                  no
>   GNOME 2:          no                   no
>   unity:            yes                  yes
>   mac os:           yes                  yes

I assume Windows will behave like GNOME 2 here. In the GNOME 2 case, is
the app menu collapsed with the menubar somehow?

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>