Re: ./configure -C

On 08/07/11 14:46, Andy Wingo wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Brian Gough wrote, back in February [0]:
>
>   In his talk about Autotools at the FOSDEM GNU Dev Room, Ralf
>   Wildenheus mentioned an autoconf option that I wasn’t aware of. It’s
>   the “-C” option and it enables caching, which speeds up multiple runs
>   of a ./configure script enormously.
>
>   $ ./configure --help
>        --cache-file=FILE   cache test results in FILE [disabled]
>    -C, --config-cache      alias for `--cache-file=config.cache'
>   $ ./configure -C
>   configure: loading cache config.cache

I've been using it too. The important thing is to delete the caches when
upgrading your distro. It always gets me into trouble when I noticed
that I forgot it.

While taking about it, another trick is "make -r". It skips loading
implicit rules, which autotools projects don't seem to depend on. It
especially helps when you rebuild a recursive project.

Stefan