Re: tooltips and scroll events

On Apr 25, 2011, at 4:34 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> currently, gtk2's tooltips code handles scroll events entirely
> differently to button and key press events. even though one can
> connect to the "query-notify" signal to get rid of a tooltip when a
> scroll event happens, the tooltip will reappear shortly thereafter. i
> haven't looked by i'm guessing that gtk3 code looks pretty similar.
>
> this is pretty problematic for widgets that want to use scroll events
> internally - they will basically display a tooltip for a substantial
> part of the time that a pointer is within their bounds. the tooltip
> won't really vanish until the user actually generates a key press or
> button press event.
>
> there are complicated patches for this, and there's a simple patch:
> treat a scroll event equivalently to a button/key press/release. does
> anyone know of a good reason not to do this?

I don't, and I think we should apply the patch you are proposing.  Currently scroll events are handled similar to motion/enter notify events, which means that when scrolling (for example) a tree view with scroll events, a tooltip continues to be visible.  I agree with you that this behavior does not seem to make much sense.

Any objections to this change?

regards,

-kris.