Re: Questions about GTK3

Am Tue, 7 Sep 2010 20:54:43 -0400
schrieb Matthias Clasen <matthias clasen gmail com>:

> > 3) Cleanup of useless classes
> > With the removal of the deprecated widgets, we now have objects in
> > the widget hierarchy that make no real sense anymore (i.e. GtkItem
> > or GtkEditable). Should they be removed? Should they be kept? Is
> > anyone working on that or intending to?
>
> I don't think anybody is. For GtkItem, folding the signals into
> GtkMenuItem should be a pretty painless operation, and might be a nice
> cleanup. Not sure about GtkEditable.

GtkEditable notably features

gtk_entry_select_region¹
gtk_editable_get_selection_bounds
gtk_editable_insert_text²
gtk_editable_delete_text²
gtk_editable_get_chars
gtk_editable_*_clipboard
gtk_entry_set_position¹
gtk_editable_set_editable¹

¹ GtkEntry had the same functions, they were deprecated.
² GtkEntryBuffer has functions with these names but different semantics.

For what I want, the clipboard parts are not specific to entries at
all. Consider clipboard functions duplicated in

GtkTextBuffer
WebKitWebView
(GtkTreeView::select-all)
GeditView
VteTerminal

So a possible idea would be to turn GtkEditable into a clipboard
interface, where entry specific features are removed.

--
ciao,
    Christian