Re: questions re: aux info, size request

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 3:49 AM, Tristan Van Berkom
<tristanvb openismus com> wrote:
> What is the use-case for forcing a widget to request something smaller
> than it's content ?

I think the use-cases are mostly caused by the old limited layout
system. For example, to get a label to ellipsize, you used to have to
set its size request to something small and then pack it with
expand=true.

I'd say the semantics of set_size_request should be "pretend the
widget's size request vfuncs returned what set_size_request set" so
size groups and widget padding would still potentially grow that size
request.

It is just a back compat API though really; I'm not sure what it's
really good for. The "only increase what vfuncs return" behavior does
seem more useful in at least one case, where you just want to be sure
the min size is at least something-or-other, but are willing to use a
larger value if the true min size is larger.

I guess some searching through apps to see how they use it might be
instructive. (Is there an easy way to search through code for lots of
gtk apps?)

Havoc