Re: High-resolution scroll events

Am Mittwoch, 17. November 2010, um 16:40:16 schrieben Sie:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Max Schwarz <Max x-quadraht de> wrote:
> > The problem is not with large deltas (which are thrown away in the
> > current OSX version, if I understand the patch correctly), but with
> > small deltas, which get emitted from Xorg with a pretty high frequency.
>
> my initial response to this was sent by completely forgetting what i
> had done with the original version of the patch. so no, its not true
> that anything is thrown away. the patch actually adds a new field to
> scroll events, so that they can have the same semantics as the events
> on win and quartz.

That's correct, but the un-patched port throws away large deltas (there's a
"break;" in there somewhere), and you got around it by storing the deltas in
the events.

What do you do with small -0.0001/+0.0001 deltas from Xorg? That's the
question. If you forward it in GdkEventScroll (and optionally encode that in
the proposed delta field), old applications end up getting many GdkEventScroll
events, which they interpret as regular scroll events.
Result: you scroll a mile when you just move your finger a little bit :-(

That's the problem I see. Or is the only receiver of the events GTK itself
(GtkRange&co)? Then it would be possible to patch it all at once...

Thanks to all for your fast feedback ;-)

Max