High-resolution scroll events

Hi,

I'm currently developing patches for the X11 ecosystem to provide higher-
resolution scrolling for devices that support it (touchpads, trackpoints,
etc). My patches are kept in a github repo ([1]).

It looks like my patch will get merged into Xorg eventually (see my thread
over at xorg-devel [2]) and I wanted to have a first look at GTK/GDK and how to
implement support there.

It seems to me that the crux of the matter is the GdkEventScroll, which has no
way of specifying the precise amount to scroll. It's just emitted for each
old-style scroll tick.

Do you have an idea on how to implement this? I think Qt's model is quite
nice, they have a 'delta' field in their event [3] which gives more precise
information. Of course, If you want to retain API compability (which I think
you do) a new event would have to be introduced that is emitted in parallel.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
  Max

[1]: http://github.com/x-quadraht/pscroll .