Re: radio-group branch

On Fri, 2010-11-05 at 12:32 -0400, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 9:34 AM, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> > I just pushed the radio-group branch in git. It contains the
> > GtkRadioGroup type and conversion of all the radio types to it.
> > Additionally it contains a few other changes (see the commits) that I
> > think make sense now that we don't have the GSList crap anymore.
>
> I like it.
>
> > I don't really have time now to convert all of gnome to the new API
> > (since i'm on paternity leave), but in almost all cases a simple
> > s/GSList/GtkRadioGroup/ change should fix it.
>
> It would be good if we could add the radio group in 2.23 and have it
> work in parallel to the old slist stuff. Do you think that is doable ?

We'd still have to support being able to pass in group references as
GSList pointers. However, all GSList manipulations for the groups are
done internally, so with some gross hack mapping GSList to GtkRadioGroup
this should be doable.

However, I'm not sure what the gain is. Since we have to be backwards
compatible we can't use the natural names for things, as these are all
used by the GSList versions. We'd have to add _from_radio_group versions
of everything similar to the _from_widget ones. This is quite ugly, and
you'd still need to change code when moving to Gtk3.

One option could be to add the _from_radio_group stuff above, but then
allow some #define to make the "normal" names macros that map to the
_from_radio_group stuff. Then apps that want to use the new api befor
porting can use this. Its all quite ugly though...

Another compat approach would be to add a GtkRadioGroup typedef in 2.23
that maps to GSList. Then Gtk2 code could be changed to use
GtkRadioGroup * for the type passed to the set_group calls and the
constructors, which would compile cleanly on Gtk3. Such ported code
won't be using the most elegant approach that is possible with Gtk3, but
it would work.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a suave one-eyed jungle king trapped in a world he never made. She's a
scantily clad nymphomaniac research scientist on the trail of a serial killer.
They fight crime!