Re: on module cache files

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM, Behdad Esfahbod

>  - Including the cache file in the directory itself makes the directory
> timestamp useless for cache freshness checking.  Not a huge deal if require
> explicit calls to the caching tools upon any change.  But it still may be a
> good idea to keep them outside.  Say, $libdir/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/loaders.cache
> instead.  Not sure.

Given that we've never used the directory timestamp for cache
freshness checks, I don't see this as a problem

> Something that I've want to think about for a while is to provide the
> module-list caching facility at the GModule level since many projects use
> that.  May be a good time to think about that.  If we do unify it, we can then
> switch to a GVariant-based storage easily.

It is not just module list caching, though. Both for image loaders and
im modules we extract some additional information about the module and
store it in the cache.