on module cache files

I'm pondering changing the way we treat the gdk-pixbuf.loaders and
gtk.immodules files in GTK3. Currently, we locate these in
$sysconfdir/gtk-3.0, but that is subtly wrong, since the content of
the files is architecture dependent (library paths...). In Fedora,
we've been shipping a hack to look for the file in /etc/gtk-3.0/$host
instead, but that is not very robust, since it relies on the host
triplets of config.guess in the tarball and the build system to match.

The change I am considering is to simple locate the cache files in the
same directory as the modules they refer to, e.g
$libdir/gtk-3.0/3.0.0/loaders/gdk-pixbuf.loaders. The recently
introduced cache for GIO modules already uses this approach.

Am I overlooking a reason why this is not a good idea ?

Matthias