Re: Deprecations for 3.x

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 09:29:29AM +0200, Cody Russell wrote:
> I think it would be kind of nice to deprecate GtkStatusbar.  It's one of the
> more useless widgets we have, imo.  It basically serves two purposes:
>
> 1/ Pushing and popping text messages.  This is a really terrible way to
> communicate information to users, imo.
> 2/ Corner resize grips.  I want to add support for this directly to
> GtkWindow anyway.

	(2) obviously belongs on GtkWindow.  No argument from me.
However, for (1), if you feel a status bar is a terrible way to
communicate information, what would you consider a good way?  I'm not
talking about the push/pop thing; that never sat quite right with me.
But status bars allow a little more detail than "busy working" without
being in the user's face like a Windows taskbar popup.

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #94

	"Make it a habit to do nice things for people who
	 will never find out."

			http://www.jlbec.org/
			jlbec evilplan org