Re: impending gdbus merge

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 12:28 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen
> <mikkel kamstrup canonical com> wrote:
> > I have two questions though. Firstly; why is there no API for installing
> > and removing generic match rules? They seem like such a fundamental
> > thing in DBus, and there alreay is API for installing filter funcs
> > anyway. Of course I can just call the AddMatch method asynchronously
> > myself, but having the convenience API like libdbus provides is mighty
> > handy.
>
> Hmm, g_dbus_connection_signal_subscribe() should do what you want.

No :-) I need to listen for the RequestName method from any connection
and with a given arg0... But no need to cause a fuzz. I can still do
what I need via other means.

> If
> it doesn't.. well.. then you can always call AddMatch() yourself
> (easily, via a single g_dbus_connection_call() function call) and
> install a filter via g_dbus_connection_add_filter()... with all the
> threading-issues that involve.

Which threading issues do you refer to here?

Would there be any trouble in installing the filter and then async
installing the rule - at least if I did it all from the main loop I'd
expect it to be safe?

Cheers,
Mikkel