Re: New widget proposal: GtkLiveSearch

Am Sat, 12 Jun 2010 19:30:52 +0200
schrieb Xavier Claessens <xclaesse gmail com>:

> Hello,
>
> I've been working on the HildonLiveSearch widget you can see on N900.
> This is the entry you see when typing on the keyboard to filter your
> contact list for example.
>
> Felix Kaser and I ported that widget to Empathy's main window. The
> code is in git master[1]. I would like to propose that widget to
> become GtkLiveSearch[2].

So EmpathyLiveSearch right now seems to be

 smart matching function + standalone inline search

Regarding the smart matching, I think it is a bad idea to hardcode a
particular algorithm with no way to override it. Rather it should be a
function that can be used. Maybe it is also useful for, say, entry
completion, that way?

And as for the standalone inline search, I would personally be hesitant
as long as the only real user is a tree view. New API for the same
feature doesn't strike me as attractive in sight of GTK+ 3.0 with its
many valid deprecations.
I would suggest if somebody has a non-tree view use case it makes a lot
more sense to consider it. Also to confirm that it actually is
convenient to use with other widgets.

--
ciao,
    Christian