Re: When deprecating, always say what the replacement is.

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 22:36 +0100, Michael Natterer wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 19:59 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > No, "Deprecated: 2.20: Do not use it." is not good enough.
>
> As a matter of fact, it is. There is not supposed to be any
> replacement for the stuff that says "Do not use it". Everything
> that has a replacement is however documented.

But "Do not use it" does not even make that clear. The reader has no
idea whether it is something that should never have been used (and why
not) or something that has a replacement. It shouldn't take much empathy
to realize that, or to realize that documentation _must_ have a problem
if someone says it's unclear. We can do better.

--
murrayc murrayc com
www.murrayc.com