Re: Building multiple backends on on same system

On Fri, 2010-12-10 at 12:53 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Matthias Clasen
> <matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
> > I have mostly taken care of GdkDragContext, GdkVisual and GdkDevice now.
> > Some of the remaining pieces look more like candidates for dropping/cleanup
> > instead of virtualization though:
> >
> >> gdk_spawn_command_line_on_screen
> >> gdk_spawn_on_screen
> >> gdk_spawn_on_screen_with_pipes
> >
> > Looking over the backends, only X11 has anything that is not a 100%
> > direct mapping to g_spawn apis, and even that is only setting DISPLAY
> > to a value returned by
> > gdk_screen_make_display_name(). We could just make this backend-specific.
> >
> > I think the same goes for the various apis related to foreign windows:
> > It would seem much more natural to me to move those to be
> > backend-specific.
> >

> One more question I had forgotten to add here:
>
> What about GdkDisplayManager ? How does that relate to GdkBackend in
> your plans ?

I wasn't aware of that. Seems like we don't need GdkBackend then, just
make GdkDisplayManager derived by the backends and add some vfuncs. Then
we need to make gdk_display_manager_get() pick the right type of backend
if there are multiple backends built-in.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a fiendish crooked matador looking for a cure to the poison coursing
through his veins. She's a provocative tempestuous hooker with an MBA from
Harvard. They fight crime!