Re: Building multiple backends on on same system

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 13:52 -0500, Matthias Clasen wrote:

> >> Too late for 3.0. Remember, there will be a 4.0 at some point.
> >
> > Are you sure it will not be possible to get this into 3.0? Its mainly a
> > bunch of code motion and cleanup. I don't expect it to be ABI
> > incompatible even, except for some new types, and the fact that
> > x-specific code needs to ask for the gtk+-3.0-x11 pkg-config module,
> > rather than gtk+-3.0 (and without more changes it will break if the
> > backend in use is not X11, but thats not really a real problem at this
> > point).
>
> I have to admit that I haven't looked closely at the actual api/abi impact.
> If it is just code motion and cleanup, then we can try to shoehorn it in.
> But even so, we are a little less than a month away from 3.0

Which is why I'm working on this even though I'm moving in a week, am on
paternity leave and is getting close to xmas... It would be nice with
some help on this. Its obviously not very important right now (all
existing backends are basically mutually exclusive due to platform), but
I think this will be important in the future.

       alexl redhat com            alexander larsson gmail com
He's a fast talking pirate sorceror looking for 'the Big One.' She's a
green-fingered insomniac safe cracker with only herself to blame. They fight
crime!