Re: GTK+ 2.21.6

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-18 at 11:52 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 8:48 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen redhat com> wrote:
>> > GTK+ 2.21.6 is now available for download at:
>>
>> is this really a correct description of 2.21:
>>
>> > Overview of Changes from GTK+ 2.21.5 to 2.21.6
>> > ==============================================
>> >
>> > * Most drawing done by GTK+ itself has been ported from
>> >  GDK drawing APIs to cairo

    [ .... ]

>> I though that this work was mostly in the 2.9/3.0 branch ?
>
> The old methods still need to be marked as deprecated and replacements
> available in 2.x to ease GTK+ 3.x porting, otherwise you're left having
> to port everything before you can test it out.

i wasn't aware that the drawing switch was planned for 2.22. this now
makes this branch barely 2.X at all, from our perspective. it
fundamentally makes it a completely new implementation of GDK, within
a supposedly stable branch of GTK. this is quite problematic, i think.
i was under the impression that 2.22 was going to be the last release
of 2.X, not a preview of what 3.0 would contain.