Re: gtk_widget_draw()

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

 sometimes i hate gmail keybindings ... so, to finish what i was saying ...

> in my mind,  a canvas does two things:
>
> 1) composites together the result of a variety of different objects
> drawing themselves/ it does

this paying attention to the area of a window that needs to be redrawn
according to external information (e.g. "expose" events) and the
internal state of the canvas (e.g. invalidated state in something that
is displayed within the window). the primary information required to
do this is the extent of each object. most canvases would also take
z-order stacking into account when ordering the redrawing, but this
isn't actual critical to this basic model of what is happening.

> 2) event distribution

i.e. finding the correct object to deliver an event to in the first
instance, and then propagating that to other objects until the event
is handled according to some kind of logical rule or rules.

it seems to me that GTK (like some other toolkits) is increasingly
converging on this model, without any specific awareness that this is
likely where it all ends up.

--p