Re: Empty containers and border_width

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Federico Mena Quintero
<federico novell com> wrote:
> Empty containers (well, I just checked GtkBox and GtkTable) will request
> a size of (2 * border_width) if the container is empty.
>
> Shouldn't the requisition be just 0 for such empty containers?  Seems
> that this may automatically de-chubbify some stale .ui files that end up
> with all-empty slots in containers.

Federico,
   As nobody replied; my thoughts on this are that containers of all
sorts are expected to take into account their border width regardless
of children, its just an expected behavior that would be painful
to change (and its one guideline for another, doesnt really change
much. not to mention changing that would subtly break API by
changing expected outputs).

And no real need to worry either; border-width is not a style
property and should be setup explicitly in the interface (isn't
the default value zero anyway ?).

Containers that expect to be empty at times should simply
be aware of their padding.

Cheers,
   -Tristan