Re: application class thoughts

> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
>> the reason I defined actions was not entirely for scriptability (though
>> it was a concern); some actions inherently require arguments, unless you
>> defer all handling to the application itself - which may or may not fit
>> in your user experience. for instance, if I want to open a list of URIs
>> with an application I might have a section of my shell that is already
>> capable of selecting that list of URIs - hence I should just select the
>> list of URIs and then pass them to the application through the
>> OpenURIList() action. I'm not sure this falls under the "scripting"
>> label; it's more interaction between an application and a shell.
>
> Hmm, I see.  But in this case the shell would need to know that it is
> a list of URIs, right?  Not just an array[string].

Also is there a reason not to use the already extant mechanism of
opening URIs through relaunching the .desktop file?  This might need a
new signal in GApplication; say "open_uri" that gets called under the
hood by the .desktop file relaunching the binary and having that
binary send a message to the running process.