Re: Minutes of the GTK+ Team Meeting - 2009-11-27

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Emmanuele Bassi <ebassi gmail com> wrote:
> 4. Implement finger and kinetic scrolling [jjardon]
> - Midori has a finger/kinetic scrolled window implementation
> - Hildon has one as well
> - OpenMoko had one
> - would it make sense to port the feature to GtkScrolledWindow when
>  :gtk-touchscreen-mode is set to TRUE?

I don't think so.  IMHO it would be better to put this in as a
GtkScrolledWindow subclass or a new class with a shared interface.
For stylus-based devices (if these are still going to be made), the
normal scrolled window would be preferred.  But still touch screen
mode will be enabled in that case.  Then there is also a case to be
made for embedded devices with touch screens that do not have enough
CPU/GPU power for kinetic scrolling, in which case you also want to
use a normal scrolled window with touch screen mode.  (Think a touch
screen configuration panel for a copier machine, our University has
one.  Apart from CPU power, the thick coating on that screen is also
not suitable for kinetic scrolling).

regards,

-kris.