Re: GDBus in gio? [was Re: Minutes of the GTK+ Team Meeting - 2009-11-10]

On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 15:31, Alexander Larsson <alexl redhat com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 01:31 +0200, Andrew W. Nosenko wrote:

>> > Well, gio would still need to link to this so all gio apps still pull it
>> > in. Additionally there is a non-negligible overhead for each library
>> > linked into an app (due to elf linking rules), so the extra library is a
>> > performance loss for all applications.
>>
>> Excuse me, but it is unclear about what you said: pthread or dbus?
>> I mean in the "Well, gio would still need to link to this so all gio
>> apps still pull it in" sentence.
>
> I meant to refer to gdbus by "it" here.

Then yet another question: why do you think that all applications,
which linked with gio are need dbus and, therefore, would to be linked
with it anyway?

Simple example: one of my programs uses libsoup.  Uses it for ages.
Just for HTTP server and, sometime, client.  Accordingly to your
logic, my program needs dbus and would be linked with it anyway.  Just
because since some version libsoup linked with libgio as dependency.

But my program doesn't need dbus!  Moreover, I don't use even GIO directly!

--
Andrew W. Nosenko <andrew w nosenko gmail com>